Recipe: Stuffed red capsicum
Stuffed red capsicum with brown rice, cumin, tomato and grated ginger garnished with a classic vinaigrette prepared by our Foundation students.
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 75 g onion, brunoise
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- pinch cayenne
- lemon juice
- 50 g tomato concassé
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 knob ginger, peeled, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 red or green capsicum
- extra oil for grazing
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Optional: Mushrooms
- Char capsicum on gas knob. Do not over-cook. Remove skin carefully
- Cook the rice by boiling and drain.
- Heat a fry pan. Add oil. Sweat onions and garlic until translucent, add cumin seeds and cayenne.
- Stir in cooked rice, remove from the heat. Stir through lemon juice, tomato concassé, thyme and grated ginger. Season with salt.
- Cut the top of the capsicum and remove the seeds and pith.
- Fill capsicum with rice stuffing and brush the skin of the capsicum with oil. Add a knob of butter on the rice stuffing and season with freshly ground pepper.
- Place in a baking dish, lined with baking parchment. Bake at 180 degree C until capsicums are soft.