Call Us


Is the New Zealand School of Food & Wine a government approved school?

Yes, NZSFW is a government registered and accredited school and all programmes have been approved by NZQA. NZSFW is rated Category One by NZQA. We are also a signatory to Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students that allows international students to enrol with us and be eligible to apply for a student visa.

I am under 18 years of age, can I study at NZSFW?

Yes, if you are a New Zealand citizen you may join the Foundation programs in cookery or hospitality when you are 17 years of age but international students must be 18 years of age. For all other programmes and courses you must be 18 years of age unless a special exemption has been granted.

How many students will be in my class? 

Cookery classes have a maximum of 16 students although on some occasions two classes may join together for theory or to listen to a guest speaker. Wine classes have a maximum of 14 students. Most class sizes are between 12 and 16.

Are there any loans, allowances or scholarships available to help me with my fees?

Yes, New Zealand students are eligible to apply to the New Zealand government loans and allowances scheme through Studylink. Click here to find out more.

International students are not eligible for any New Zealand government financial support.

What are the fees for the programmes?

All fees are listed on the individual course pages to which they relate. New Zealand domestic students are eligible for a New Zealand Government subsidy. This is why there are different rates from New Zealand and international students in programmes longer than 12 weeks.

How easy will it be for me to get a job after I finish the program? 

NZSFW provides a Graduate Placement Service for all enrolled students. We have an excellent relationship with many local hospitality employers. If you have successfully passed your course you should have no difficulty finding a position in the hospitality sector that requires high quality graduates.

Who can help me with a problem during my studies?

We pride ourselves on our pastoral care and support of all students. As a small school we provide a family like environment and all staff are keen to support and care for our students.

Follow this link to find a healthcare professional.

Can you help me find a place to live?

Yes, we can either provide you with information about finding your own place to live nearby in apartment living accommodation. We charge a fee for this service - see the fees section.  Have a look at this website prepared by the New Zealand Government - Flatting 101.

Can you help me get to my accommodation from the airport?

Yes, we can meet you at the airport if you wish. There is a fee for this service. Otherwise you may choose to use the airport services available at the airport (bus, shuttle or taxi). This information is detailed in the enrolment section of the website.

Can I work part-time while I am studying?

If you are a New Zealand resident you may work part-time during your studies. If you are an international student you may be eligible to work up to 20 hours per week while studying the Level 4 Cookery (Advanced) or Level 4 and 5 Food and Beverage.

Can I work in New Zealand after I have completed my studies if I am an international student?

You may be eligible for an open work permit after studying in New Zealand.  It is best to check with us and with New Zealand Immigration if you are considering this.

I am an international student applying for a programme of 3 months or more - do I need a visa?

Yes, you need a student visa for all courses more than 3 months in duration. This is obtained from New Zealand Immigration. You can apply from your home country before arriving in New Zealand.

A student visa allows you to study full-time in New Zealand for a limited period of time. See

I am an international visitor or student applying for a 2 week course - do I need a student visa? 

No, you do not need a student visa because the course is less than 3 calendar months. A visitor's visa is acceptable or any other temporary visa.

Learning to budget while studying? 

Look at this website for some helpful information.

Keeping Safe in a new City

New Zealand is a relatively safe travel destination but we are not crime free. It is important you take the same precautions to look after yourself and your possessions as you would at home. This advice comes from the New Zealand Police: Keeping SafeYou can also find helpful translations in other languages.

Request information