The Certificate in Classic Cooking (Micro-credential) introduces fundamental cookery techniques required to prepare a range of classic dishes in a commercial kitchen. Knowledge of food safety, cooking terms and methods are applied in the practical sessions. Planning the sequence of cooking tasks enables dishes to be prepared efficiently with impressive results.
The programme draws on the French culinary tradition, preparations and cooking techniques but also embraces an Asian influence to reflect ingredients and techniques popular in contemporary New Zealand. This programme includes a central theme of vegetable cookery with a focus on nutrition and healthy eating. Allergen awareness is also a feature.
- Courgette fritters with dukkah and Guacamole
- Eggs Benedict with Sauce Hollandaise
- Thai chilli beef with seasonal Asian greens
- Pan seared sirloin with mushrooms, pan jus, Maitre'd butter
- Chicken breast with thyme and mustard cream sauce, wilted spinach, dauphinoise potatoes
- Fennel and black pepper coated pork belly with honey roasted kumara
- Includes other dishes
The Certificate in Classic Cooking micro-credential provides foundation cookery skills over 20 sessions and offers a new depth of understanding for the novice cook.
A sensibility to cooking fine food helps celebrate New Zealand’s food story by featuring local ingredients and sustainable food practices.
Summary of Assessments
This NZQA Micro-Credential embedds the following assessments throughout the programme:
- Food Safety Theory Assessment
- Research Project: Investigate a famous chef or restaurant. Give a 10 minute presentation of your findings
- Practical Assessment:
- Prepare Chicken Breast with Thyme and Mustard cream sauce, Steamed Brocolli, Dauphinoise potatoes
- Prepare Eggs Benedict with bacon and Hollandaise
Pathways to Further Study
At the conclusion of this course, learners will have a new confidence in the kitchen and in turn, provoke curiosity to experiment with new products and techniques.
Graduates may aspire to continue their study of the culinary arts and enrol in one of the following higher level NZQA qualifications.
Page Updated: 24 Jan 2024
Course not available in 2023. This course will be available from February 2024.
10 Weeks: Wednesday and Thursday Evenings: 4pm - 8pm
Click on the date above and this will redirect you to the enrolment form, where you can pay online.
We invite students to discuss their study options - please equire below to make a time if you would like more information.
Registrations close 7 days before the course starts. Late registrations may be available, please enrol and contact us regarding any late registrations.
- See section for fees & entry criteria