The Certificate in Baking and Patisserie (Micro-Credential) introduces fundamental baking and patisserie techniques required to prepare a range of classic cakes, pastries, desserts and breads. Knowledge of food safety, baking and patisserie terms and techniques are applied in practical sessions. Planning the progression of baking tasks enables systematic preparation in the kitchen with satisfying results.
The programme offers learners the opportunity to expand their knowledge and develop essential baking and patisserie skills from cakes and gateaux, from shortcrust to puff pastry, from breads to brioche, tempering of chocolate, egg custards to soufflés and ice creams.
The focus in on classic preparations including:
- Cup-cakes with piped decoration
- Pear and almond tart with sweetened rich shortcrust, crème Anglaise
- Puff Pastry mille feuilles
- Crème Brulée
- Sourdough bread and loaves
- Chocolate tempering and truffles
- Ice cream and sorbet
- Includes other dishes
A sensibility to baking fine foods helps celebrate New Zealand’s food story by featuring local ingredients and sustainable food practices.
Summary of Assessments
This NZQA Micro-Credential embedds the following assessments throughout the programme:
- Food Safety Theory Assessment
- Research Project: Investigate a famous chef or restaurant. Give a 10 minute presentation of your findings
- Practical Assessment:
- Prepare six bread rolls - equal size and shape
- Prepare six Cup cakes: pipe and decorate in 2 different styles
Pathways to Further Study
At the conclusion of this course, learners will have a new confidence in the kitchen and in turn, provoke curiosity to experiment with new products and techniques.
Graduates may aspire to continue their study of the culinary arts and enrol in higher level NZQA cookery qualifications or enter the workforce as a junior or commis chef in a cafe or restaurant.
Page Updated: 24 Jan 2024
10 Weeks: Wednesday and Thursday Evenings: 4pm - 8pm
Click on the date above and this will redirect you to the enrolment form, where you can pay online.
We invite students to discuss their study options - please enquire below to make a time if you would like more information.
Registrations close 7 days before the course starts. Late registrations may be available, please enrol and contact us regarding any late registrations.
- See section for fees & entry criteria