Recipe: Asparagus with parmigiano and mayonnaise
Here's a great dish to make the most of asparagus when they're at their best.
|20||Asparagus, spears (5-6 asparagus spears per person)|
|50 g||Parmigiano cheese, grated|
- Snap off the asparagus ends or peel the last 2-3 centimetres.
- Heat a pot of water to blanch the asparagus.
- Add salt and sugar to the water — this helps heighten the green colour of the asparagus.
- When water reaches a rolling boil, add the asparagus. Cover with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain in a sink with cold running water and ice if you have it.
- Remove from the water when cool and drain and place on a serving plate.
- Combine the parmigiano and mayonnaise and pour over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve.
Makes approx. 150 ml
|1||Egg Yolk (room temperature)|
|1||Teaspoon dry mustard|
|1||Teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice|
|125 ml||Canola Oil (room temperature)|
- Place the yolk in a clean bowl.
- Whisk in the salt and the lemon juice or vinegar, mustard.
- While continuing to whisk, start pouring in oil, drop by drop.
- Once the emulsion has begun to form, start adding the oil in a steady thin stream, whisking constantly.
- When the sauce is thick, check seasoning.
- To thin, whisk in a little warm water or more vinegar.
- Cover, label with date and refrigerate.