Recipe: BBQ Lamb with Paprika, Cumin, Coriander Crust & Hummus
BBQ Lamb with Paprika, Cumin & Coriander Crust & Hummus
PREPARE THE HUMMUS
200 g chickpeas
Pinch of bicarbonate of soda (optional)
2 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoon sour cream (optional)
1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds for a garnish
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl and cover with one liter of water. Add the bicarbonate of soda. Leave overnight.
- The following day, rub the chickpeas to loosen their skins. (optional). Rinse well.
- Place the chickpeas in a pot with fresh water. Do not salt the water. Bring to the boil and cover. Simmer gently for 40 – 60 minutes (or longer) until tender.
- Strain the chickpeas but keep the cooking water.
- While still hot place the chickpeas in a food processor and blend.
- Add the garlic and blend well.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice and cooking water until the mixture is the required consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir through the sour cream.
- Heat a heavy fry-pan. Place the whole cumin seeds in this. Dry roast for 30 seconds. Remove before burning. Cool and use as a garnish
Paprika, Cumin & Coriander Crust
Prepare the crust (dry marinade):
2 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon salt flakes
1 pinch cayenne
- In a spice mixer, pulse the cumin and coriander seeds until fine. Place in a plastic container.
- Add the, paprika, salt and cayenne. Cover the container and shake.
PREPARE THE LAMB
150 - 800g of lamb per person – Rack, rump or loin
Crust mixture (above)
- Remove from packaging and pat dry with a paper towel
- Trim the lamb to remove any silver skin, excess fate.
- Leave lamb in whole muscle groups (This a good way to cook if you have a lid on your barbecue) or dice into 2 – 3 cm cubes.
- Brush with olive oil. Cover with plastic film until needed.
- Place the crust mixture in a bowl. Add the pieces of lamb. Toss well to coat with the crust.
- Place the lamb on the hot BBQ. Season with salt.
- Cook for diced lambe for 3 – 5 minutes on each side. Turn. Repeat. Remove and rest.
- For whole lamb rumps or rack, you will need to cook for up to 10 minutes to ensure the middle is cooked
Remember to leave the meat to rest for up to 10 minutes, covered in a metal tray or platter. It will taste better.
Slice into smaller pieces if necessary.
Serve with hummus.